Happy Fall! It’s still gorgeous outside and there’s plenty of time for fun, outdoor workouts with your little one tucked snug in her stroller. But what do you do on a rainy day? Here is a 20 minute workout to get you through a rainy day. Skip the puddles and frizzy hair. While you’re at it, skip the dash through the rain to get the kids into the car and head to the gym. Find an activity for older kids or put little ones safely in a play pen with a heap of toys or – gasp – a cartoon! It is a rainy day, after all. Equipment: staircase; athletic shoes or bare feet; water Warm up (3 minutes): Walk up and down stairs, one stair at a time. Next, walk up and down stairs, taking two stairs at a time. Repeat for 3 minutes or until you start to break a light sweat if you’re not watching the clock. Workout (15 minutes): Perform the following exercises, in order, for 1 minute each. Repeat for a total of 3 circuits, pausing only as needed for a sip of water or to catch your breath. Try not to break unless one of your little ones needs you!
- Push up on stairs – stand, facing staircase, and place hands on 3rd or 4th step (lower to make it harder, higher to make it easier). Inhale as you bend your arms and lower your chest to stair, then exhale and push up until arms are straight again. Repeat for 1 minute.
- Step up – stand, facing staircase, and step onto 2nd step with left foot. Ensure heel is on step. Step up, pressing through left heel, and raise right knee up to waist height. Step down and repeat on right foot. Continue alternating for 1 minute.
- Stair dip – sit on bottom step with hands on edge of stair, fingers pointing forward. Keep hands close to hips. Lift bum off stair. Inhale and bend arms until elbows form 90-degree angle or bum taps on floor; exhale and press through hands to straighten arms. Repeat for 1 minute.
- Uneven squat – stand sideways with one foot on bottom step and other foot on floor, both feet aligned horizontally. Inhale and squat until thighs are parallel with floor; exhale and press up through heels to straighten legs. Repeat for 30 seconds on each foot.
- Jumping jack – stand with feet together, arms at sides. Jump until feet are wide and land on toes; at the same time, lift arms out to the sides and up overhead until they touch. Return to starting position. Repeat for 1 minute.
Cool down & Core (3 minutes): Walk up stairs and down stairs, one at a time. Repeat for 30 seconds. Assume plank position/push up position on floor for 30 seconds (on hands and toes with arms straight, abdominal muscles drawn up). Repeat for 3 sets each. Still feel like you need more cooling down? Continue slowly walking up and down stairs until your heart rate is lower. Now arm everyone with raincoats and boots. Mommy’s had her workout and it’s puddle jumping time!