Thanksgiving is all about gratitude and being grateful for the wonderful friends and family in your life. However, that doesn’t mean it’s not about fun, too. Here are some fun ways that your family can celebrate Thanksgiving together.
- Turkey Trot – On your mark, get set, run … then eat. Check your local park district to see if they offer a family fun 1 Mile or 5K race Thanksgiving morning. Running together as a family is a fun way to stay fit and avoid having to pop the button on your pants after Thanksgiving dinner.
- Leaves of Gratitude – Cut fall colored leaves out of construction paper. Pass the leaves out to everyone at the Thanksgiving table and ask them to write one thing they are most grateful for. Add their name and date to the leaf. Now paste these up on the wall to create a tree or wreath shape. Put them up again next year and keep adding. It’s fun to read and will be very powerful when loved ones are no longer at the dinner table in the future.
- Holiday Movie Marathon – You’re going to want to sit on the couch after Thanksgiving dinner so why not kick off the Christmas Holiday Season by watching Elf, It’s a Wonderful Life or your favorite Christmas Specials.
- Host a Friendsgiving Dinner. Someone told me about this tradition where the Saturday after Thanksgiving they host another “Thanksgiving” dinner but with friends, not family. It’s a great opportunity to try out one of those leftover turkey recipes because let’s face it, no one wants cranberries and stuffing anymore.
- Conversation Game. During dinner, play a game where everyone answers questions. It’s a great chance to learn more about each other and keep the conversation lively. Click here for fun Thanksgiving Dinner Conversation Questions.
What does your family do for fun to celebrate Thanksgiving?