Pregnant women are often said to have the “pregnancy glow”. Actress Natalie Portman at this year’s Golden Globe Awards definitely had that glow and looked absolutely gorgeous baby bump and all (although her dress was not my favourite). I’ve just announced that I’m pregnant with my 2nd child and I’m wondering “Where the hell is my glow??” It could be the combination of the cold weather and my hormones, but my skin looks as though it has been zapped of all moisture! I don’t quite remember my skin being this dry during my first pregnancy but that could be because I was also in my late 20’s. No matter how much water I consume or moisturizer I slather on, those pesky dry flakes seem to resurface immediately after I apply my moisturizer. Here’s what I’ve been doing to fake the “pregnancy glow”:
- Water! I feel like no matter how much water I down, I’m still left feeling thirsty and my skin still looks dehydrated. This baby is sucking all the moisture out of me which means I need to double up on my water consumption!
- Fruits and Veggies: I’ve been scarfing down as much water-rich fruits and veggies. Cucumbers, green peppers, tomatoes, strawberries, oranges, apples, grapes and pears are my best friends. 🙂
- Moisture-Rich Skin Care: I recently switched my cleanser to an oil gel-based cleanser that is lightweight and doesn’t clog my pores. I’ve also been using a moisturizing serum under my rich moisturizer. When my skin is really bad, I treat myself to one of my favourite facial masks.
- Luminous Primer: I switch back and forth between my primers but one I’ve been using lately is one that brightens and moisturizers the skin.
- Cream Blushes: There’s nothing better than cream blush to fake a glow. Powders only enhance flaky skin so I love dabbing cream blushes in pink or peach onto the apples of my cheeks.
- Water-Based Face Sprays: I have a few that I use mainly use on my clients, but these sprays have been a godsend! Facial sprays not only lock in your makeup, but they make your skin look dewy and radiant. These are also great if your skin looks too powdery. I carry one everywhere with me just in case I have a flakey-face attack!
How do you get your glow on?