One of my favourite things about fall is apples. Warm apple cider, apple crisp, the delicious apple pie that my man makes so well, apple butter, apple cake, oh how I could go on. It makes me want to cry when I think of how the southern Ontario crop has been pretty much wiped out due to a crazy spring that gave us pretty much all 4 seasons in one! The mr went out and bought a bag of apples today and they cost $5, when they would normally be about $2 this time of year!! So I’ve decided to make smaller batches of my favourite recipes this year, so I will use less apples but still get my fix!
Today I’m going to share my moist and yummy Apple Cake recipe with you. The ingredients are pretty minimal, and aren’t too bad when keeping a waist-line in mind!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C). Grease and flour one 8 inch cake pan.
2. In a mixing bowl; beat oil, applesauce, and egg with an electric mixer until creamy. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat well.
3. Combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and ground cinnamon together in a bowl.
4. Slowly add dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix until combined. The batter will be very thick.
5. Fold in the apples.
6. Spread batter into prepared pan.
7. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 C) for 30-35 minutes or until cake tests done. Let cake cool on a wire rack.
8. Sprinkle a dusting of confectioners sugar on top if desired.