I have been a vegetarian for over 40 years and it has been challenging, especially when the other members of my family are not. Meal planning is always fun because I have to prepare a vegetarian based main course for myself as well as a meat based one for the rest of the family. Luckily the meals I prepare for myself can be enjoyed over several days (less if the rest of the family want to indulge.) We all love Kraft Dinner in my house and cheese and I love my veggies so I decided to mix it up. Veggie mac is what I ended up creating. It has lots of cheese combined with and has been a big hit with the entire family.
2 boxes of Kraft Dinner any flavour (I used Sharp Cheddar and Three Cheese) 2 pkgs Kraft Creamy Mexicana with a touch of Philly shredded cheese I large head of cauliflower 2 bunches of Broccoli 1 cup of Kraft Parmesan cheese salt and pepper to taste Preheat oven to 400 degrees
1. Prepare the Kraft Dinner as per directions and set aside
2. Steam the cauliflower and broccoli until soft
3. Chop the vegetables until desired size. It can be mashed or bite size pieces, salt and pepper to taste
4. Place a layer of mac in the bottom of an oven safe dish (half) 5. Place a layer of shredded cheese (1 cup) 6. Sprinkle 1/3 Parmesan over cheese
7. Place a layer of veggies (half) 8. Place a layer of shredded cheese (1 cup)
9. Sprinkle 1/3 Parmesan over cheese 10. Place a layer of mac and cheese
11. Place a layer of shredded cheese (1 cup) 12. Sprinkle 1/3 Parmesan over cheese 13. Place a layer of veggies (remaining)
14. Top with remaining shredded cheese (1 cup)
Place in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until cheese has melted and turned a golden brown. Makes 4-6 servings
Note: The first time I made this for the family I just used the cauliflower and I broke it up good so it blended. They never saw it coming. I find bigger pieces of vegetables scare kids so on the next batch I had the kids help me by mashing up the veggies and helping me assemble it. Any soft veggie will do so experiment and have fun.