Unless you have been living underneath a rock, you know that coconut oil is the big ‘cure all’ for all things beauty right now. I, for one, love coconut oil for moisturizing my skin and feet. After educating my daughter about the uses of coconut oil, she decided to try it as a moisturizer on her hair. She did it 2-3 times and discovered that it helped in softening her hair. Little did we know that there was one harmful effect of using coconut oil.
A few days ago my daughter called me to tell me of her stresses of her toilet and shower being messed up. Her shower took 30 minutes to drain and her toilet kept backing up. Since she rents her home she had to call the land lord instead of a plumber. The land lord came out and asked the standard questions such as have you tried to plunger it and have you flushed anything unusual down it. Of course her and her husband tried to plunge it and nothing unusual was flushed down it. The land lord proceeded to put an acid chemical in the toilet and said it could not be used for 24 hours.
Since there was no improvement, he came back within a few days (not the best land lord to have) and decided to ‘snake’ out the shower drain. Well, of course, a ton of hair was removed, but the pipes were still clogged. It was at that point that my daughter had an epiphany; it’s the coconut oil! Of course she has to keep hush because the land lord may not understand her need for silky smooth hair.
My daughter and I both live in older homes and we have both vowed that if we do the coconut oil hair conditioning treatment we will rinse our hair outside with a water hose. Or if we shave our legs with a coconut oil and sugar rub mix we will shave and rinse in a bucket. The harmful effects of using coconut oil is not worth the cost of a plumber.