I have a very busy household. At any given time there is someone wanting, needing or requesting something. I am finding the hardest part of having 4 kids is balancing my time with each of them. I thought I would put together a list of things that make my life easier as a mom of 4.
The 5 things that help make balancing life easier with 4 kids and that I can’t live without are:
- My family calendar. I can’t live without this calendar. It has magnets and is stuck on my fridge. It has important dates, birthdays, appointments and the kids school activities and events. I would be lost without this calendar and although I have my cell phone with a calendar option, I will always go to the one on my fridge first. My absolute favourite one is Moms Ultimate Magnetic Family Fridge Calendar, this calendar costs around $12-$15 depending on where you buy it. They come out in September as the calendar runs from September of the previous year to December of the next.
- My iPad. Although I never ever thought I would get one, it has been a huge lifesaver. I was lucky enough to win a contest and part of the prize was an iPad mini. I can’t even imagine not having it now. I use it for everything. I use the calendar to help me keep track of social media engagements mostly and the odd appointment for the kids. I use it to read other blogs and keep up with the news. I also use it to write some of my blog posts if I’m breastfeeding the baby and can’t have the laptop on me. It also has been used to keep my older kids busy when I just need a few minutes to get dinner done or a load of laundry.
- My Cell Phone. Although I just recently changed from the iPhone to the Samsung S4 (of which I am still getting used to) I absolutely can’t live without it now. I use it for everything from checking e-mail on the go, keeping my appointments and schedule close, sending tweets, putting up Instagram pics and getting caught up on Facebook. I also use it for the obvious reason of getting a hold of people while I am away from home and as of next year keeping track of my oldest as she walks to school on her own for the first time.
- My Slow Cooker. If you don’t own a slow cooker or if you do own one and never ever use, what are you waiting for?? I have made so many meals in mine (I use it sometimes twice a week, even more when it’s hot in the summer) that I am almost due for a new one. It can make your day that much easier, you just set it and forget it. When I was working full-time before the baby came, I would put a roast with potatoes and carrots in it at 7 a.m. before I left for work and dinner would be done and ready when I got home. It is honestly one of the best gifts I was ever given. I have cooked spaghetti sauce, chili and even BBQ pulled pork and chicken it in too. I think I may even post a recipe or two for the slow cooker. My only advice is buy a decent one, cheap isn’t better in this case. I have a Hamilton-Beach 6-quart and I love it.
- My PVR. I know this may totally sound selfish but with a busy household and 4 kids doing something with school or lessons, I don’t very often get to watch my shows when they are actually on. I am so super glad for my PVR, when I get a few minutes (it doesn’t happen all that often) I can sit down and watch my shows (can’t get enough Coronation Street) without commercials and when I have time. The other great thing is that I can record by the series, so I will never miss an episode either as the box will take care of the details.
These are just a few tools that I use to make the chaos that I call life have some kind of organization to it, as well as trying my best to make things just a little bit easier on all of us. I am sure that one or two of these will probably make it onto some of your must have lists. What other things do you use to balance your life? What are some of the things you can’t live without?