Not everyone needs the latest tech or a lavish gift; sometimes the perfect present is the gift of giving, itself. Why not try one of these ideas with your family, and teach your children what true holiday spirit entails.
- Volunteer – Check your local shelters or food banks for opportunities to help prepare dry food packages or sort clothing. This is a big help to charities who are swamped this time of year. Check out these resources for information regarding a volunteer opportunity near you — United States: www.voa.org Canada: www.volunteer.ca
- Donate – Many organizations collect gently used hats, gloves, scarves and coats over the holidays.
- Adopt a Family – Holiday angel or family adoption programs allow families a chance to be sponsored for a meal or a gift wish list.
- Host a Food Drive – Set up a drive for your family and friends, and encourage that guests bring an item of food instead of a hostess gift or treats for the kids.
- Errands for the Elderly – If you live in a northern city, why not offer to shovel or de-ice the driveway or path of an elderly neighbor? If you live in a southern city (lucky you) you offer to fulfill shopping lists, wrap gifts or mail letters.
What does your family do to give back during the holidays?