A Priceless Random Act of Kindness | PTPA | Parent Tested Parent Approved

A Priceless Random Act of Kindness

IMG_2670

February 17th is random act of kindness day!

Has anyone ever said something to you that absolutely lit you up inside, reinforced your self-confidence or just gave you that boost that you needed to keep going strong?

Growing up, I remember my parents always telling me to “use my words!”  We are taught from a young age to use language to express ourselves, resolve conflict and equally as important, to express love, gratitude and praise towards others.  Words can be powerful, they can light up the heart and soul and can lift ones’ spirits sometimes when one needs it the most.

I remember walking through the grocery store with my 2 month old twin daughters.  I was a zombie; exhausted, hormonal and in complete “survival mode” taking on each day as it came.

While waiting in the checkout line and gazing and interacting with my little girls, a lady tapped me on the shoulder and said, “I have been watching you and I can just tell that you are an amazing Mother.  I can just tell by the way you are with your babies and how they look at you.  They are so lucky to have you as their Mom.”

Tears instantly filled my eyes and I couldn’t help but hug this woman who literally lifted my spirits and touched me to the core when I needed it the most.  A complete stranger who I am sure did not realize how much those three small sentences meant to me.  How they lit up my day, gave me hope and made me realize, “Wow, I am an amazing Mother and I can do this!”  I left with a permanent smile on my face.  I knew I needed to pass this on…

Parenthood, in my opinion, is one of the most important jobs in this world.  However, it is a job that can sometimes be emotionally draining, lonely, unpaid, and one of the hardest parts, there is no feedback.  No praise for doing it well.  No performance review to keep you feeling motivated.  You give and give and give some more all while trying to keep it all together.  A few positive words can be one of the greatest gifts that a new parent can receive.  A simple string of letters spoken in words and formed into sentences…there is nothing better than to hear that you are enough.  That you are doing something right!

Let’s make February the month of random acts of kindness!  This Momma is challenging you to “use your words”.  You never know what someone is going through and you never know the profound impact you can make by one simple compliment.  Use your words…change someone’s life.

Kelly, S & O xo

PTPA Challenge – Toys R Us Giveaway

• So beautiful, Kelly! You ARE an amazing person and Mom! Your girls are precious and lucky! Thank you for sharing this! Words can indeed be powerful!

• You really are amazing, thank you for posting this!

Nancy R
  • I love paying random strangers compliments – those are my favourite random acts of kindness 🙂

Andrea D
  • Isn’t this so true — a random act of kindness can be as simple as some nice words that make you smile. One time I was waiting for a city bus in the freezing cold (outside of a busy restaurant), a table of people knocked on the window beside me. They were inside…and were holding up a note that said “You’re beautiful! :)” to the window. And that was it. Enough to make me smile for the day, week, even now as I remember it!

Rachel
    • Rachel! This gave me chills! Amazing! Thank you for sharing! So powerful. xo

• So true. Everyone faces different battles on a given day, a simple smile is if not contagious, could change up someone’s bad mood into a better one. I was once getting stressed out with my child melting down while checking out at a store. I was trying my best to keep her calm as I watch my items gets scanned. And a nice lady next to me pats my back and said it’s ok, you’re doing a great job. It’s very nice for someone to say that, enough to feel that someone appreciates what I’m doing as a mom.

• Evans I completely agree with everything you say! Thank you so much for sharing your story! A small thing can make a huge change! 🙂 xo

• So inspiring, it’s easy to forget how the smallest things can have such a huge impact on our lives.

Laura
  • Yep you never know what others go through on a day to day basis! It really pays to be kind and supportive to others all the time! It makes them feel better and you too!

Susan Jordan
  • A lovely reminder 🙂 Thank you for posting!

Cassandra
  • Awee that is so sweet.I bet that made you feel good!

Dana Rodriguez
    • It was such a gift in that moment, Dana! Thank you for your comment! 🙂

• Random acts of kindness goes a long way!!!

Kierstenbean@newmommireview.com
  • It is amazing how just one simple act can make all the difference. We once had a flat tire and my husband had to call someone to take him to go get a new tire. Meanwhile my son and I stayed with the car. My son was about 2 at the time. A stranger stopped and kept asking if I needed help. I told him I was fine and was waiting for my husband to come back with new tire. Out of no where he whips out a $100 bill and hands it to me. I was like no no I can’t. He said “save in a piggy bank for the baby” and was back in his car before I could stop him. It made me smile and I’ll never forget that.

Melissa R.
    • Melissa this actually gave me goosebumps! What a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing. Have a wonderful weekend! 🙂

• Thank you for posting a very nice reminder to remember daily!!

jimenez_cyn@yahoo.com
  • Very true

Saba Aziz
  • a nice reminder. thanks

l p
  • random acts of kindness go a long way. I love it

edithcombs@bellsouth.net
  • What a great message to teach our children. We need to teach that random acts of kindness it thinking of others and not always yourself. It teaches humility and compassion. It’s great to teach children to feel good about themselves and not expect something back.

Jade Legacy
  • Oh. How I need these kind of words!

svetlana_vyazmina@yahoo.com
  • Incredible posting…..words can kill

Ronald Gagnon
  • That’s amazing what you do! all the best in everything!

Farangis
  • I just like to be friendly to anyone who seems to be having a bad day

kathie hoehn
  • Random acts of kindness makes everyone feel good, and it only takes a moment.

Theresa A.
  • I love random acts of kindness

betty combs
  • I try to do one every day!

monica hessian
  • “It felt so good to brighten people’s days!” sixth grader Maria Guehlstorf said, “Many people going into the hospital could use a little kindness.”