There is nothing more comforting than a bowl of these tender pillow like dumplings; this is comfort food at its best! Many varieties of dumplings use only white flour, leaving them nutritionally void of nutrients. These on the other hand, have the added benefit of the almightly sweet potato and ricotta cheese. Now I wouldn’t go as far as calling these gnocchi a “health food” but I would say they are a much better option than most dumplings. My take on including these in a healthy meal is to make them the carbohydrate side dish – not the main player . My favourite meal would be a roasted chicken piece, the sweet potato gnocchi and an arugula salad. This way you get to induldge in these amazing morsels of deliciousness without having to have a nap after you eat them. While you may think making gnocchi is complicated, it is simply childs play. The quantitites outlined below are a guidline. Sweet potatoes are different sizes, your ricotta may have more or less moisture etc etc…. The key is in how the dough feels! When all the ingredients come together it should feel almost like playdough. Make sure you sprinkle flour out on your work surface as you knead the dough and that the dough isn’t sticky. If it is, simply add more flour. INGREDIENTS
- 2 Medium Sweet potatoes, cooked
- 1 cup drained* ricotta cheese
- 2 Tbsp fresh parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
Either bake or microwave sweet potatoes. *Place Ricotta cheese in a coffee filter lined colander and let drain for 1-2 hours. METHOD
- Peel cooked sweet potatos and place in large bowl, mash with back of fork.
- Stir in ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and nutmeg and mix until well combined.
- Add in flour 1/2 cup at a time until a smooth dough forms.
- Dust working surface with flour (about 1 Tbsp) and knead dough for 1 -2 minutes. Add more flour if dough is sticky.
- Break a piece of dough off and begin to roll it into a rope about 1/2? thick.
- Cut rope into 1 inch pieces.
Place a large pot of water on high heat and bring to a boil, add 1 Tbsp salt. Place sweet potato gnocchi in the water and cook until they rise to the surface. Toss with butter or olive oil, fresh ground pepper and parmesan! Other yummy toppings: toasted hazelnuts, sage, brown butter!
There are no comments